|What's For Dinner Wednesday|
What's For Dinner? Portobello Shepherd's Pie!
A fast and fresh vegetarian Shepherd's Pie made with Portobello mushroom, carrots, peas, corn and onions and topped with garlic mashed potatoes!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds Portobella mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 ounces (3 medium) carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and oil. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, carrots, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle vegetables with the flour, stir to coat and cook, scraping brown bits from the pan, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas and corn, cook, stirring often, until sauce has thickened (about 5 minutes).
- To assemble: Preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer vegetables to an 8” x 11” casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the vegetables, top with parmesan and broil 5 minutes, or until top is golden.
- Garnish with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 313 calories
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Sodium: 731mg
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 9g