Perth Diabetes Education Program
Any adult with diabetes, pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes and their family or caregiver are invited to attend sessions at your local Diabetes Education Centre.
WHO WILL I SEE?
You may meet with a Registered Nurse, a Registered Dietitian or both during your visit at the Diabetes Centre. These health professionals are devoted and specially trained with expertise to help you understand and manage your diabetes. Your Diabetes Professionals may have achieved Certified Diabetes Educator designation – an indicator of quality standards of diabetes care across
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TEAMING UP WITH DIABETES EDUCATORS?
At your local Diabetes Education Centre, you will have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Plan and enjoy health meals and food choices
- Develop a healthier lifestyle by choosing fun and enjoyable activities, and understand the benefits of doing so
- Interpret your daily blood glucose results to learn to improve your glucose values
- Understand and take your prescribed medications
- Undertake in daily foot care as a prevention of diabetes related foot disease
- Adapt new routines for a healthier you
- Prevent or delay devastating diabetes related complications
WHAT PROGRAMS ARE AVAILABLE?
The frequency and type of programs available differ slightly at each community, so call for more information on the programs offered. Some examples of programs that you could attend include:
Introduction to Diabetes – Group classes – A must for everyone. These ½ day classes are great for the beginner or as a refresher.
Individual Visits – Are available with the Registered Nurse or Registered Dietitian or both.
Insulin Start Program – to help you get started on insulin management.
Insulin Pump Program is available at the
Community Programs such as public speaking presentations to community groups, agencies, industry and health professionals. Call for details and to arrange your event speaker and topic.
HOW DO I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT? Ask your health professional for a referral to your local diabetes education centre, or call the Centre and for more information and to make a self referral appointment.
CLINTON - 519-482-3440
- SEAFORTH- 519-527-1650
STRATFORD – 519-272-8210 ext 2415
- ST.MARYS – 519-284-1332
Perth Diabetes Education Program Coordinator 1-519-272-8189