Same Day Joint Replacements
March 05, 2021
HPHA Surgical Services is excited to announce a new initiative – Same Day Joint Arthroplasty. This program is supported by Ontario Health and is a great opportunity for a select group of patients that meet specific criteria to be discharged home the same day as their hip/knee replacement surgery.
The main inclusion criteria for a patient to be considered for this procedure include:
- Must have a care partner available to attend pre-operative classes and who can stay with patient a minimum of 24-48 hours post-operatively
- No history of sleep apnea
- No significant health problems
- Body mass index less then 35kg/m2
The benefits of this type of surgery include:
- lower risk of infection
- quicker return to normal activities
- a more comfortable recovery at home
Paul was HPHA’s first Same Day Joint Arthroplasty patient on March 3, 2021. We wish him all the best in his recovery!
L to R: Dr. MacLean, Ross (OT/PT Assistant), Diane (Caregiver), Paul (Patient), Trish (Physiotherapist), Karen (RN) & Carla RPN)