Our Patient Declaration of Values serves to ensure
that our patients and their loved ones will be engaged partners in their care
with staff and care providers. Valued partnerships have the ability to
transform our healthcare system in a way that makes it truly person-centered
care. To ensure we include the voices of our
patients, families, caregivers and community members, HPHA has fostered the
Patient and Caregiver Partner Program.
The Patient and Caregiver Partner Program is a volunteer service that supports the organization to maximize HPHA's commitment to Exceptional Patient Experience by optimizing our Guiding Principles: People | Partnerships | Performance
The Patient &
Caregiver Partner Program advances patient engagement and patient and family centred
care in all services provided at HPHA. The program promotes diversity and inclusivity
and embraces all voices being heard, considered and included in healthcare
decision-making, planning and operations in a safe and respectful manner. Patient
& Caregiver Partners share valuable insights, expertise, lived-experiences
and provide ideas for initiatives and programs that advance, ensure and embrace
Patient and Family Centered Care through the support of HPHA’s Commitment to
A Patient and Caregiver Partner is a patient, a caregiver, a patient’s family member or community member who has experienced care at any of the four sites of the HPHA. They serve in a partnership capacity, voting on specific decisions or making recommendations based on their diverse lived-experiences on matters that affect the experience of patients, family/caregiver & community members at HPHA.
Patient & Caregiver Partner Role Expectations:
- Provide input and influence on the policies, programs and practices that affect the quality of care and services that individuals and their families receive at HPHA
- Promote opportunities for dialogue among patients, families and staff at HPHA by providing a forum for patients and families to share their lived-experiences and identify opportunities to improve the quality of care and to participate in quality improvement initiatives at HPHA
- Collaborate, consult and explore with healthcare providers ways to find and apply solutions together on meeting the needs of patients/families with healthcare decisions; program and service design; policy, strategy and governance
We are always recruiting new patient & caregiver partners Apply today
- The Potential
Patient & Caregiver Partner (PCP) candidate completes and submits an application form
- The Co-Chair of the PCP Program Steering Committee together with the Corporate Lead, Patient Experience / Engagement contacts potential candidate and conducts interview.
- Successful candidates:
- must complete a Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- must complete and sign
a declaration of understanding of the HPHA policies, review/sign Code of
Conduct, Confidentiality Agreement and Statement of Understanding of the Conflict Resolution Process.
- receives orientation to PCP Program and is added to the PCP contact mailing list.
- receives invitation to the Patient & Caregiver Partner Program Meeting for introduction.
- Stream of Engagement Speciality determined and orientation is arranged.
- PCP must sign COVID-19 Volunteer Declaration Form and have proof of full vaccination to attend on-site meetings at the hospital
Who Do I contact if I have questions about the Patient & Caregiver Partner Role?
PCP Steering Committee Co-Chairs through the Corporate Patient Experience & Caregiver Resource Office:
- PCP Steering Committee Co-Chair - Joani Gerber / Corporate Lead, Patient Experience/Engagement & Privacy - Michelle Jones
- Office #519-272-8210 Ext. 2423 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Engaging our Patient & Caregiver Partners comes in different forms and the way in which we partner will look different based on the individuals preference
Patient & Caregiver Partner
Engagement Specialty Options
Role & Expectation
Level of Commitment
Co-writing, reading, and reviewing
organizational guidelines, brochures, pamphlets, patient information,
policies, practices & procedures
Commit to reviewing hospital materials.
Partner flexibility – virtual participation
Active members on hospital committees and councils etc.
to be an active participating member on a hospital Committee / Board /
Frequent in-person or virtual meetings
Active participators in experience-based
co-design initiatives and decision-making projects with care providers*
Commit to be an active participate
on special projects
Frequent in-person or virtual meetings
Can be a “one-time”
Interested in becoming a Patient & Caregiver Partner? Apply today!
If you are interested in applying, you may do so by completing
the form below or by sending in a print version.
Click here to apply!
Printed applications can be dropped off at your nearest HPHA hospital
site at the COVID-19 Screening Centre to the attention of the Corporate Patient Experience
Office at the Stratford General Hospital site (Room W1-210). You may
also mail your application form to the address:
HPHA Corporate Patient Experience Office
46 General Hospital Drive
Stratford, ON N5A 2Y6
If you have any questions regarding this program please connect with Michelle Jones, CPXP Corporate Lead Patient Experience/Engagement & Privacy 519-272-8210 Ext. 2423 or email email@example.com