smallTALK is the local Preschool Speech Language program which is funded by the Ministries of Health and Long-Term Care and Children, Community and Social Services. smallTALK services are provided at all four hospital sites of the Huron Perth Healthcare Alliance (HPHA) as well at other hospital sites in Huron and Perth counties.
What we do
- Licensed Speech Language Pathologists assess and plan
treatment services for the preschool population of Huron and Perth.
Therapy services are led by either Communicative Disorders Assistants or
Speech Language Pathologists.
- Ministry goals include early identification of children who
may be at risk for a speech or language delay and providing the right
treatment in the right location. Our goal is to provide families and
community supports, such as Early Childhood Educators, with
evidence-based treatment that maximizes communication development.
- Our clinicians may work with clients in the hospital clinics, a
licensed childcare centre, or EarlyON Child and Family Centres;
wherever it is felt our clients are best served.
- smallTALK works closely with Family Health Teams (FHT) who
complete enhanced 18- month well baby visits provided by a nurse or
nurse practitioner, which helps in identifying children who may be
delayed in communication development.
- smallTALK is a major partner in Calling All Three Year Olds
(CATYO), an early school registration program which includes a
- We support the development of early reading skills by
incorporating early literacy activities into our therapy and through
participation in literacy programming and events in the EarlyON Child
and Family Centres.
- As a member of Kids First Huron Perth, we participate in the
Read to Baby Book Bundle program in which newborns are given a board
book, a booklet of nursery rhymes and finger play activities and
information about developmental milestones all neatly tucked into a
bright reusable bag.
- Between the enhanced 18-month well baby visit and CATYO, we have been able to reduce the average age of referral to 31 months.
- The earlier we can provide supports to families for children
with delays the better we are able to prepare the children for school
readiness which includes the necessary listening and speaking skills
required to learn.
- Our involvement in early literacy development is a natural fit, as speech sounds and words develop alongside learning to read.
- We are a self-referral system and encourage families to contact us
directly if there are any concerns with their child’s communication
- We also accept direct referrals from local Family Heath Teams and Calling All Three Year Olds service providers.
- Referrals are accepted through a centralized intake on a
toll-free line which makes it easily accessible regardless of where the
family lives in our region.
- Referrals are typically directed to the hospital closest to where the family lives.
Other locations in Huron and Perth
- Clinton Public Hospital: Second Floor
- St. Marys Memorial Hospital: Main Level, Meighen Wing
- Seaforth Community Hospital: Main Level
- Stratford General Hospital: West Building, Level 2
- Alexandra Marine & General Hospital
- South Huron Hospital Association
- Listowel Wingham Hospitals Alliance – Listowel Memorial Hospital and Wingham District Hospital
Contact Information: Toll Free: 1-866-333-7716
For more information, you can visit the smallTALK website or social media accounts!