MRI has been shown to be extremely safe as long as proper safety precautions are taken. The powerful magnetic field of the scanner can attract certain metallic objects causing them to move suddenly and with great force to the centre of the MRI machine. Therefore, great care must be taken to ensure no metallic objects enter the MRI exam room.
You will be asked to remove jewelry, watches and items of clothing that have metallic threads or fasteners. Strict procedures and protocols are followed that will ensure your MRI examination will be a safe one.
Before any MRI procedure you will be asked to fill out a screening form about anything that might create a health risk or interfere with the MRI scan. You will also undergo an interview to ensure that you understood and answered the questionnaire properly.
Please note that you will be asked to complete the MRI screening form/questionnaire each time you have an MRI, even if you have already undergone an MRI procedure in the past.
You will be asked to remove the following prior to entering the MRI exam room:
- Purse, wallet, money clip, credit cards, cards with magnetic stripes
- Electronic devices including beepers or cellphones.
- Hearing aids and dentures.
- Jewelry and watches.
- Pens, paper clips, keys, coins, hair barrettes, elastics, hairpins.
- Clothing that has metal fasteners, zippers, buttons, hooks, underwire, or metallic threading.
- Shoes, belts, safety pins.
If you have to bring of the above items, a secure space will be provided to store your valuables while you are undergoing the MRI scan.
There are items that may create a health hazard or other problems during an MRI. Please contact us immediately at 519-272-8210 extension 2660 and let us know if you have any of the following:
- Pacemaker or Implantable Cardiovascular Defibrillator (ICD)
- Aneurysm clips
- Cardiac stent
- Cochlear Implant (Ear Implant)
- Metal implant
- Implanted drug infusion device
- Foreign metallic objects—especially in or near the eyes
If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or if you are breast feeding, please let us know.
If you have an Implant Card, please bring it with you to your appointment.